Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Somedays...I love my job!

It's teacher appreciation week this week, so tell a teacher you know that you love them! (hint, hint) just kidding. Despite this event I've had a rough week in relation to parents. I won't go into details but I'm facing a not so great meeting with some parents this afternoon. I tell you this to convey how much I appreciated the following story. Every month our school teaches the students a value and celebrates a particular student from each class who has demonstrated this value. This month is the month of caring and sharing. Today I was discussing this value with my students and had them say something nice about someone else in the classroom. Then they wanted to say nice things about me! They said really sweet things that completely brightened my day. One student said, "You spend your hard earned money on us to buy treats." Another said, "You treat us with kindness." I got a million, "You're the best, best teacher ever," and "the best best teacher in the whole wide world." A lot of them commented on my good looks. I got comments like,"You have pretty eyes, hair, clothes, and shoes." They told me I was the prettiest teacher in the school. Someone said I have a "sweet voice." Just as I'd call on one student to share their nice comment five more would think of something and raise their hands. One of my students who keeps his emotions to himself and occasionally rolls his eyes in my direction when I act silly raised his hand to share a comment at least 5 or 6 times. I love them all so much and I will miss their cute faces next year. As they were commenting on my being the best teacher in the world I mentioned that they would move on to third, fourth, fifth, sixth etc. etc. grades and they'll have a ton of new teachers in that time. They assured me that I would always be the best. Whether that is true or not it melted my heart! I really hope that 20 years down the road I have one or two of them think back to second grade and have fond memories of the time I've been so blessed to share with them. Despite the hardships and struggles associated with being a teacher I have found true passion in interacting with these special and amazing spirits. Their potential is astounding and I cannot wait to find out what they made of their time spent in mortality. I often find them entering my prayers and I know my heart will always have room for each one of them.

4 comments:

megantonesforever said...

That's wonderful to feel so passionate about your job, not many do.

Suzanne said...

I am so proud of you and I can't help but say that I knew you would be a great teacher. love your mom

Tuzi Salz said...

That is really fun Abby! I remember my last day of student teaching when the kids snuck a paper around and they all gave me compliments and signed it. Great days!

Crystal and Kyle said...

Hey Abby! It's been awhile. I'm so glad to hear that you are loving teaching. Sounds like you are a great teacher. Those kids are lucky to have you! Hope everything else is going well.

background