Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A new understanding of the word...EXHAUSTION

I started teaching again last week and I am blown away at the differences I've noticed. My students have it together so much more than this time last year. I have an amazing class and know all of them pretty well, because of my interactions with them the previous school year. I forgot the difference in maturity level at the beginning of the year compared to the middle or the end. I never taught a spelling class so that's a change in itself. I've never had more than 11 students in a break-out group and my largest class now is 14; it's amazing what 3 extra bodies can do to the dynamic of your group. I feel so much more capable and professional. I know what I expect and can easily teach my students those expectations now, instead of as they come to me. I miss the familiarity of my previous student's issues, and am anxious about tackling my new student's problems as they come. I'm way more on top of my preparation for the day and even the week. But the most obvious differences come from this baby I'm carrying. She makes me so tired! I had never truly understood what it meant to be tired until I started teaching again being pregnant. It is utterly painful. Plus my sciatic nerve is giving me a nightmarish time, my feet ache during the day and the roly poly alien in my body always manages to act up when I'm in a busy or uncomfortable position. Due to my exhaustion the lack of control over my own emotions (which I am most definitely not accustom to) is enhanced. My sweet, amazing, hard-working, sensitive and extremely good looking husband has been quite a trooper. I want my own quiet time one minute and expect him to dote on me the next. If he has a problem I think he should forget about it and focus on all of my ailments first. I so desperately miss spending all my time with him and so any second we spend apart when we could be together I resent him for. Lucky for the both of us I recognize the insanity my thoughts are circling and am able to control (somewhat) my outbursts. He is truly my one and only and I'm so grateful he can look past my emotional frailties for the next four months and still love and adore me daily. If you see him give him a big hug and a pat on the back for just being a good guy.
Well those are my thoughts over the past few weeks. I'm feeling more and more at home in our new routine and I still love love love my job; but am starting to love love love this baby girl so much more!!!

3 comments:

The McGraths said...

Oh that's so great to hear. Hope all continues to go well during your pregnancy! ;)

Mal said...

Wait a minute, I don't think I knew about this blog. WHAT?

Anyway, we are so excited for you guys to have a baby! When exactly is the due date again?

Emily said...

Congratulations Abby!!! I'm so happy for you! You will be a GREAT mother! What a lucky little girl she will be!

background