Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Gift of Motherhood

We had a fairly busy day today.  It was a beautiful day!  My best friend got married, went to my cousins baptism, and partied the night away with my little family.  When we finally got home Claire was exhausted.  She gave up her binkie yesterday and got a pet fish instead.  She is doing great during the day, but at night, she's been heart broken about losing the binkie.  Tonight she fought Steve in getting ready for bed and just cried for her binkie.  Steve did a great job reasoning with her, but with her lack of nap, 6:30 a.m. wake up call, and hour or so of dancing at the reception, she was not one to be reasoned with tonight!  When I finally came in the room she asked for me and I held her on the rocking chair (like I do every night) and gave her comfort.  She only wanted me.  I know that's hard for Steve sometimes because he loves our kids so much and wants them to need him too.  Our children adore him and love playing and being with him.  He is such a helpful and fun dad to be around.

As I held my three year old in my arms and her tears began to subside it made me so grateful for the gift of motherhood.  So grateful that I could provide the comfort only a mother could provide.  And the best part? Not any mother could provide the comfort my little girl needed tonight!  I was the only mom she needed.  I may not be perfect, I may lose my temper with her, and get lazy sometimes but I am the perfect mom for her.  The only one she needs.  She is mine and I am hers, eternally.  

I was overcome with a profound sense of joy in that quiet moment.  Motherhood, something I've always wanted.  Something I could have never prepared for and something I could never ever do away with.  My beautiful, intelligent, tender, vivacious, unique little girl can drive me crazy one minute and make me fall in love with her all over again the next.  Having her really provides meaning to the phrase, "opposition in all things."  My heart is very full for the gift of motherhood this evening and I am humbled to have been chosen by the Almighty to participate in such a wonderful calling.  I hope to lock this feeling away and think of it in times that are not so tender.  Knowing all the while that I will become better from these experiences and am privileged to be experiencing them.  

No comments:

background